Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas Day 2008

Please just overlook the nutty, pants falling off and inside out pajamas that each of the girls were wearing on Christmas morning this year. They all had quite a time coming to a decision as to which particular pair would satisfy their little souls on Christmas Eve, and because I was in no mood to argue (and still had presents to wrap and set out) we just went with whatever they picked out.

I hadn't anticipated the deer in the headlights feelings that I would have on Christmas morning. When the girls woke up at just after 6am I realized that it was way too stinkin' early to call anyone to come over and help, but I couldn't figure out how I was going to be both the mom, the dad, and the photographer all at the same time this year!


I was able to hold them off until about 6:30, at which time I called Mimi and told her I was going to let them go ahead and check out their goodies from Santa. I must have unconvincingly mentioned that I could handle things, and that she should just wait to come over whenever she got up.

Thankfully she did come over shortly thereafter (thanks Mimi!) and assist with the opening of packages. All the girls had asked Santa for was sleeping bags... in their individual "fabrit" colors. They were thrilled to see that he delivered them, but no more excited than they were to find feather boas, tooth brushes, and their own tubes of chap stick in their stockings. Isn't it crazy the things that kids gravitate to and enjoy?!?

One of my biggest stresses of holiday shopping was buying one item for each of the girls that was not "the same" as everyone else was getting. I don't know why I was so worried over it. They were each pretty clear as to at least one thing that they wanted that the others didn't, and it turned out that those gifts were some they enjoyed opening the most. Kate got a My Little Pony, Maggie a special baby doll, Sarah a pink dress up dress, and Ella her first barbie doll.



After we spent the morning here at home with various family members stopping by to see the girls and their new toys, we snuck in an early nap and then headed over to my Granny Ruth's house for a late lunch. Dad's side of the family isn't as large as Mom's, but the girls had an equally large time there. Ella received a music box/ make up set from her great-Granny Ruth, and she generously shared the contents with all of her sisters. Everyone got in on the action. Pop Dickie painted Sarah's finger nails and toe nails.


Kenneth and Glenda enjoyed a front row seat watching as all the girls used every bit of makeup in that box..... very decoratively, I might add.


Granny Ruth opened presents for quite a long time. Even with four wonderful little helpers I bet it took her 30 minutes to get them all.


At the end of the day Maggie was clearly the winner of the war paint award. Unfortunately one of the tubes of lipstick in the box was purple... that was the one Maggie chose as you can see in the above photo to go with her blue eyeshadow.



I was impressed that Ella didn't mind sharing her new stash with Maggie, Kate, and Sarah. She was in her own world and just plain thrilled to be painting her own toes.

Sarah more than made up for Maggie's lack of attention to detail with the make-up. She stood in front of the little mirror for the longest time getting the lipstick, eyeshadow, and blush just exactly where she wanted them..... just look at that concentration!

The best news of the day was that all the makeup washed off easily when it was time for bed. The girls crashed out rather early, and I was in the bed at the unbelieveable hour of 8:30pm as a Merry Christmas gift to myself!!


9 comments:

JMT said...

Looks like your girls had a good time. Happy Holidays!

Cadi + 4 said...

I have been keeping makeup away from mine yet but by seeing how well your girls did maybe in a few months they could handle it? I'm scared to even try it. Christmas looked like so much fun at your house. Can they ride the tricycles?

Laura S. said...

Loved reading the recap of your holiday starting with the day before Christmas Eve. Looks like the girls really enjoyed themselves!

3 Peas N A Pod said...

It looks like you had a wonderful Christmas. I wish Scott could have been there to share in the festivities. I love that your girls got some of the same things for Christmas that my girls got -- "lipstick" (chapstick), dress up earrings & pink vests. We also gave the girls each a special unique present. It was hard to think of the perfect thing. I hope you have a blessed new year. Your family (and especially Scott's safety) are in our prayers.

Denise said...

Too funny! Glad the make up washed off easily. It looks like the girls had a great time.
Keeping you all in my prayers until Scott's safe return home to you guys.

Mommato4miracles said...

Glad you had a Merry Christmas with your girls. They are so cute

Dorinda said...

I'm glad you had a good holiday. I can't imagine doing Christmas without Kirk. I am praying for a safe and quick return for Scott! Have a wonderful New Year :)

Angie said...

Your girls are so funny! My kids also love chapstick. :) I'm glad you had help on your holiday. It looks like a wonderful day was had by all. Blessings to you all in 2009.

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog(Ms. Kit got me hooked) and watching these beautiful little girls grow-up. You amaze me, MB --- and I might add inspire me, too. The family pics are surely a treasure for all. Looks like you've had a wonderful Christmas and I hope you have a very blessed New Year to come.
SDunn