Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Cabbage Patch Kids 25th Anniversary

This fall, Limited Edition 25th Anniversary Cabbage Patch Kids are hitting the store shelves. These are exact reproductions of the originals that captured the hearts of millions during an unprecedented consumer craze back in 1983. Over 115 million Cabbage Patch Kids have been adopted since then, making Cabbage Patch Kids the best-selling large doll of all time.


When our Limited-Edition Anniversary Cabbage Patch Kid Lou Maria arrived a few weeks ago from the cool folks at Team Mom, the only disappointment in this house was the fact that there was only one of her. All four of the girls were incredibly excited to open the box, check out little Lou's spoon, clothes, birth certificate, and all her goodies. They enjoyed playing with her just as they do all their Cabbage Patch babies. We are no strangers to the Cabbage Patch around here.

I don't have much of a memory left (after having 4 kids in less than 2 years), but one Christmas that I'll never forget Kari and I each got one of the soft -sculptured, signed by Xavier, original babies along with a cradle that dad made and a blanket that mom made. I know that those dolls, Libby and Claire, and their accompaniments were treasures of Kari's and mine for years.... we still have them, in fact!

My mom worked part time from home sewing the hair on the hand-stitched, one-of-a-kind, soft-sculpture babies heads way back then too. She would pick up black garbage bags full of bald baby heads and lots of yarn every couple of weeks and return them with full heads of hair to Original Appalachian Artworks. Random, I know! I also remember feeling like a very cool kid because my aunt Janice moved to NYC to help start up and run the Babyland General Hospital there for a while. So, as you can tell, we have a long, long history with the Cabbage Patch (and I was/am a total dork)!

Along with being able to purchase the originals again at retail stores for the first time since the 80's, the folks who make these special dolls are also encouraging people to post their own Cabbage Patch memories on a new site that launched September 1st. Go to http://www.cabbagepatchkids25.com/ to submit yours. I suspect there will also be a big 25th Anniversary celebration during the Babyland General Fall Festival on the 20th of September. The girls and I are likely to be there...

So what about you guys? Anyone have any great, interesting, or otherwise heartwarming Cabbage Patch Kids stories? Please leave me a comment and share!!


7 comments:

Misty said...

I had wanted one, but it was just a crazy time in life when those came out, so my mom actually made me one! She made it with dark hair & blue eyes so it could be a "mini-me". She even pulled out & gave me some of my baby clothes she had for me to dress it with. I still have it and the dresses. So not exactly a cabbage patch story, but close!
Oh, I saw your comment on the blog, YES! their hair has just grown like crazy and has gotten so thick! I think they are just going thru a growth spurt all over! And so chatty....!

Brandi said...

We'll be there too. I enjoyed your cabbage patch stories, although the bag full of doll heads sounds a little creepy.

Dorinda said...

I totally LOVED Cabbage Patch Kid dolls. I wanted one soo badly. I begged and begged but my parents didn't have a lot of money and they were very expensive. But finally at the end of one school year - I believe 3rd grade - I got grades good enough to earn me a Cabbage Patch Kid doll - it was the best thing ever!! See, I still remember it...

Cadi + 4 said...

I also had a home-made one that my aunt made. My sister and I each got one that looked like us. It never mattered to me that mine wasn't authentic and I still have her and Ashlyn plays with her. I like that they still make them and Ashlyn has a baby cabbage patch that she got when we brought our trio home.

I think it's cool that your mom and aunt got to help make them, so I guess I'm a dork too.

Ms. ~K said...

I taught Tonya Jarrard (Xavier's niece) the first year of my teaching career (1980). Her sweet mother (Vivian) presented me with a signed Bronze Edition doll at the end of the school year. Laura Jacqueline, the doll, is still my pride and joy.

Anonymous said...

I wanted a cabbage patch so badly. We didn't have alot of money either. But for Christmas, my dad waited in line and fought the crowds to get me one.A blonde hair blue eyed girl. A while later, I was lucky enough to get twin boy cabbage patch dolls also. So special, the name of one I still remember-Ruben Ainsley!!!

Erickson 5 said...

I will never forget the Birthday I got my first Cabbage Patch Doll. I never remember being so excited about anything in my life. It is one of my most favorite childhood memories. I was so surprised and excited. My dolls name was Asher. Later I got Andrea too. So funny the things that we remember. I also remember my BF cabbage Patch dolls name was Cameron. Great post!