Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Random Act of Kindness

Last Friday morning Mimi and I took all the girls grocery shopping. It was not unlike every other shopping trip where we are stopped often and spend lots of time answering the same old questions. "Yes, they are triplets. All 3 girls. Here's big sister. If you think my hands are full, you should see my heart. Yada, yada, yada." However, on this particular day we also had a most random experience out in the parking lot as we were packing the Expedition up to leave. A young mom, shopping with children whom I'd seen while we were in the grocery store, came up and introduced herself. She apologized for the "randomness" of her next statement, and then proceeded to say that she would like to "bless me from one mom to another" by bringing my family a meal sometime. I thanked her profusely and told her she need not do that. Then I tried to assure her that I had things under control and had plenty of help. Without being rude I couldn't get away without giving her my name and phone number. Flash forward to Monday morning.... my mom, Mimi had been gone since Saturday to visit Kari, and Scott was back off to work. This same nice lady called to see if Monday night would be okay... did we have any food allergies, could she get directions to our house!?! I almost couldn't believe that she actually called. She brought us an amazing meal including a wonderful dessert with plenty of leftovers. She brought gifts for the girls, including Ella, and her sweet 2nd grade daughter along to deliver the food. Like I told her, it was definitely the most random thing that has ever happened to me in the grocery store parking lot, but also the nicest! We were all truly blessed by the wonderful meal, but more so by her generosity and willingness to put herself out there, so to speak. I don't think I could ever run someone down in the parking lot with this kind of offer, but hopefully I'll come up with a very nice way to pay it forward. What an inspiration she has been to me to do some random acts of kindness!!

7 comments:

Denise said...

What an awesome story! Thanks for sharing.

Jeannie said...

Wow....makes you think that maybe we should all try and find ways to go out of our way to help someone else out.

Denise said...

MB, I just wanted to say thanks for stopping by my blog.

Lindsey Parramore Oliver said...

Hey Mary Beth -- thanks for the story! I enjoyed looking over your blog about the girls. It's given me some new ideas for my own. :) They are beautiful, by the way. I think I've fixed the commenting issue with mine. Take care and best wishes to all!! Love, Lindsey

Carolyn said...

I find with hauling triplets, people are rude or kind. Strange what triplets can do to complete strangers

Whitney said...

That is incredible. What a great story! Hope you had a great week!!

Whitney

Lynne said...

Hey Mary Beth! Thanks for stopping by. It looks like we have a lot in common except for gender (mine are 3 boys, 1 girl).

Our oldest was 20 months old when my triplets were born.

I'll definitely be back to check on you guys...um..girls. :-)